 Robotics / Handy Board / 2816
Re: HTML or Plain Text?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 00:15:52 GMT

Phil wrote:

hi.
    I just downloaded Internet Explorer 4.0 (Get it, it's awesome!),
and it
gives me the option of sending mail in either HTML or plain text
format.
Which format should I use for mailings on this list? Which ones do you
guys
prefer?

My person preference is a format which includes both HTML and plain
text, which I assume IE4 can do since NN4 can do it.

I do all my email on a Mac using Netscape Communicator 4.01 (no you
don't need Microsoft products to do HTML email), which includes a HTML
enabled mailer.  I too find the improvement over a plain text mailer
awesome.  I can now even include images in my email.  I would estimate
that at least half of the folks I email regularly have an HTML mailer,
on MACs, Windows, and UNIX.  And not everybody just uses HTML to change
the background color, at least I don't.

Consequently, I set my mailer up so that, by default, all of my email
goes out with both HTML and plain text.  If folks want posts to this
list to be plain text only I will comply (unless I accidentally forget
at times); but it seems that letting folks send email in a HTML and
plain text format would be a good compromise.

Later,

     Rick