 Robotics / Handy Board / 2812
Re: HTML or Plain Text?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:31:34 GMT

From:  "Curt Mills, WE7U" <hacker@tc.fluke.com>

Obligatory robot question:  What does one have to do in order to use
both the Linux and the Win-32 variant of Interactive-C?  Would I have
to pay for both copies, or is there some leniency there?

Sorry for bad news:  due to royalty arrangements we made with the various
ports for IC, we must sell keys separately for the different platforms.

I found during the long beta test that the Windows version was quite
buggy (at least for me), but the Linux (text-based) version was very
reliable.  I liked the environment better for the Windows version, but
couldn't keep it running.  I would like to have both options again, if
it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.  It's a pain rebooting between
the different environments, so I like to have tools in both places.

Good news on this one: you should find the release version of Windows IC to
be very stable.  There were many bugs fixed between the last beta and the
final release (including all reported crashing bugs).  The one significant
problem that Windows IC 3.1 has (which we're fixing at the moment) is that
if a pcode download fails on the first try, you need to restart IC in order
to make a second attempt.  It's pretty easy problem to work around, and if
your battery-backup is working properly, you only need to download pcode
once in a long while anyway.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/