 Robotics / Handy Board / 2743
Re: Homebrew Sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:06:50 GMT

Here's an idea for homebrew sonar that I keep mulling over
but haven't built yet. If anyone builds one of these be sure
and tell me if it doesn't work so I won't :-)

Basically the idea goes like this:
    take a signal generator (like the EXAR chip) and configure
    it to generate some centerfrequency like 40Khz. Now modulate
    the generator using a triangle wave whose period is the same
    as the maximum sensing distance (say 32ms for a 32' range)
    now feed a receiving transducer through and AGC amplifier
    to a PLL. Take the error signal from the PLL and add it to
    the input signal to the transmitter. The result will be the
    magnitude of the phase difference between the input signal
    and the received signal. The phase difference can be sampled
    with an A/D for arbitrary precision, the value of the difference
    times the speed of sound is the distance.

Normally it would seem to be a lot of hardware but you can now
build a lot of it inside a DSP and that would make it easier to
construct.

--Chuck