 Robotics / Handy Board / 267
266  |  268
Subject:
Pcode instructions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 03:38:00 GMT

OK. I know this is going to be a long shot, but here goes:

Are there any docs on the pcode? I.e. is there some way that I can learn what I
need to learn to modify the source code pcode.asm besides reading the file
pcode.asm and tearing my hair out? (Yes, the code is commented pretty well. But
there are a LOT of basic things that it doesn't explain, and that I couldn't
figure out except if I sat down with the almost 100 pages of .asm file and
mentally traced through it.)

The reason I ask is because I have a graphics display connected to a custom
expansion board, and I want to re-direct the LCD printing commands so that
printf() goes to my LCD screen instead of the default one. The interfaces are
vastly different, so I have written my own cout function. But I don't want to
have to re-write the printf() function (which is very well done in the pcode)
for my LCD when it already exists. What do people suggest?

I guess a related request, if you really want people making cool expansion
boards, you need to make the pcode more 'open', like with places to subsitute
in new serial-in and serial-out routines (for radio-modems, for example) and
new cout fuctions (for different displays) or just have some really well done
doc that explains how to modify the pcode.asm file.

My only other gripe is that it's a pain in the ass to compile the pcode.asm
file on a mac. ;-) I know, us fanatics need to make life difficult.

*Brian Schmalz
| Brian Schmalz       |  Building autonomous |
| 723 E. John Street  |       LEGO robots at |
| Appleton, WI        |  Lawrence University |
| 54911               |        (414)832-6655 |
|         Brian.P.Schmalz@Lawrence.edu       |
|       http://www.lawrence.edu/~schmalzb    |