 Robotics / Handy Board / 2652
Re: more help, please!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:36:08 GMT

It all depends on how much you want to spend and how you want
to drive them.

1) The piggy back method works, but is difficult to manage mechanically
and
    the chips weren't designed for it. (Generally it works ok however)
2) Using a separate H-bridge is the "right" way to do it, but is usually
the
    most expensive.
3) Using relays that are switched by the HB motor ports works but you
have
    to be careful about arcing. As the relays will be switched on and
off by the
    HB the contacts wear out (most relays are rated for a finite number
of
    closures).

One of the things that is true of robotics is that it is full of
engineering
compromises, you can do this, but then you can't do that, making that
stronger makes this other thing weaker, etc etc.

My suggestion,  try all three approaches. Lots of learning to be done
there...
--Chuck

Phil Hahn wrote:

hello
        Ok, i have a question. First of all, thanks to all who helped
me
with my h-bridge problems. You know who you are:thanx!
        ok, here is my question: i have 2 motors that draw 2amps
apiece. I
also have a 6v 7amp lead battery. Which of these options would be
best (if
one of these would NOT work, please tell me before I fry the HB!)

1. piggyback the 2 motor chips, so that they both can handle 2 amps.
then
get a voltage reglator so that it outputs 9.6v  to the handyboard, and

directl;y connect the motors to the HB

2. use a h-bridge to use a seperate power supply for the motors and
use the
HB to controll the motors

3. use an relay or other seperator (solenoid -push- switch?) to
seperate the
2 items

please help me. I'm not that good with electronics: I know some of you
are ;)

thanks you all so much!

phil
thehahns@nconnect.net

--
--Chuck McManis       http://www.professionals.com/~cmcmanis/index.html
All opinions in this message are those of the author. No warranty as to