 Robotics / Handy Board / 2647
2646  |  2648
Subject:
DIP switch in headers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 01:57:25 GMT

Actually, unless Fred has changed the way the sensor connectors work he was
quite clever in that the spacing of the I/O connectors is exactly dip
switch width. Basically you can plug in a DIP switch into the I/O header
and get as many switches as you would like.

Actually, this sensor connector layout was my idea back for the Rev 2 6.270
board, and, yes, I did have both keying, and, secondarily, dip switches
in mind when I designed it.

However, plugging in dip switches turned out to be a bad idea, because the
pins of most dip switches are very flat, and the female header happens to
grab them from the wrong angle.  For this reason, I've found plugging in
DIP switches to be very unreliable (fairly flaky about half the time).
Sorry.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/