 Robotics / Handy Board / 2630
Re: interfacing motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 05:33:29 GMT

At 11:51 PM 8/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
hello, all you happy roboters!

       /I have a question about interfacing a larger motor to the HB. It
runs on 6v & draws 1-2amps, depending on the load. I already have a 6v 7amp
lead battery that I want to use to power the 2 motors. What would be the
best way to connect this to the HB?

thanks!
phil
thehahns@nconnect.net

One way to accomplish this is with an H-bridge motor drive other than the
L293 on the HB itself.  I one out of discrete components some time ago,
using darlington TIP series transistors, and it works great.  (Kudos to
Chuck McManis.)  It can handle something like 5 amps surge and 3 amps
continuous, and has no heat problems whatsoever.  This sort of circuit is
fairly inexpensive as well, you can buy all the parts needed for a few
bucks (the transistors are the pricey part) at your local electronics shop.
Another solution would be to get an integrated H-bridge from National
Semiconductor or other electronics supplier.  I have two here that I
ordered as free samples, they are also capable of handling 3-5 amps surge
when covered with large heatsinks.  If you can get samples, you're in good
shape, if you have to actually buy one of these things, they run $15 and
up.  They have the advantage of being very compact and  also are ready to
be dropped into an application with minimal tweaking.  Either way, you'll
have very sturdy motor drivers capable of driving your mid-current motors
at 6V with no messy diode drops, HB modifications, huge 50 watt resistors,
or burned out brushes.

Jeff Keyzer
UCSD EE Major
jkeyzer@ucsd.edu