 Robotics / Handy Board / 2626
Re: Lcd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:05:20 GMT

Can anyone tell me the relevent information for choosing an LCD?I want to
change mine for a backlit one and would like to make as few modifications
as possible so I think I need to know pin outs(is that all?) and I may have
to supply an extra +5v terminal for the backlight.Thank you,

there are 3 kinds of backlighting

* LED
* electro-luminescent (EL)
* cold cathode florescent tube

LED and EL are thin panels behind the LCD glass (tho they do add
thickness to the final unit).  florescent is miniature lamps that go
along one or two edges of the glass (usually used for bigger laptop
displays).

you want LED.  because:  the other two methods require 100v AC
supplies.  Standard +5v to 100VAC "inverters" are provided, but you
can get a nice shock from 100VAC and also the inverters take up space
and are not as power efficient.

LED runs off +5v directly or with a dropping resistor.

-fred