 Robotics / Handy Board / 2619
Re: positioning of robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 02:35:01 GMT

I had some questions regarding  John Whitten's recent posting about different
drive types.

4 WHEELS:
However, the 4 Wheel mechanism also has some disadvantages as well.
The biggest problem you will have using a 4 Wheel vehicle is in
navigation. A 4 Wheel vehicle has a minimum turning radius. It cannot
turn on its center like the 2 Wheel or Treaded vehicles can. So this
complicates your robot's job of maneuvering from one location to
another, particularly if the journey requires tight turns or narrow
spaces. Consider, if your robot's minimum turning radius is 'y'
(whatever 'y' is)- the NARROWEST SPACE your vehicle will be able to
TURN AROUND IN is 'y * 2' (the diameter of the circle with a radius
of 'y'). The value of 'y' is determined by the maximum angle of the
steering wheels. (The actual math is only slightly more complicated
as it also takes into account the length of the vehicle which actually
slightly lessens the space usually- but for our conceptual purposes
we'll ignore that for now).

How is the math to figure out the narrowest space a vehicle can turn around
in done? (What formula -- or formulas -- are used? Don't just give names,
please, include the formula and an explanation of the variables.) This is
something that I need to consider in my current project, and if I can have
some idea of how narrow the space is, I can adjust my design as needed,
rather than redesigning it if it doesn't turn narrow enough.

    This has implications on traction, top-speed, power-input/speed-output • ratio,
     and handling (while steering for instance).

What is top-speed?

TREADED OR TRACKED DESIGNS:

   If the mechanism is not well suspended, or the shock absorption system • is
lacking (or not there!) or the load-point calculations are off (or
were never done), etc, etc, the resulting vehicle will have its
lifespan, range, power, speed, durability, handling, load-capacity,
etc affected significantly!

What are load-point calculations? What sort of formulas are used with them?
(Again,  I would prefer the formula itself rather than a name.) What sort of
things make up shock absorption systems? Where would one be implemented?
(Note: I know nothing about cars, telling me to examine one will not help at
all...I know cars have some sort of shock absorption system, but that's about
it.)

Thanks for your help, in advance.

-Kate Rasing
krasing@iastate.edu