 Robotics / Handy Board / 2494
2493  |  2495
Subject:
Converting servos + other stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:02:32 GMT

hello, Yall!

        I'm trying to find a good source for motors, but to no avail.Has
anyone tried using modified servos, as described in 'mobile robots'(Jones
and Flynn)? It seems kind of expensive, but these appear to be pretty good
quality stuff. Opinions and helpwanted!

        Also, I had an idea. How should you determine the amount of torque
needed for a robot? I have a robot built alrealy:all it needs is motors. I
came up with a method: please tell me if it will work or not.

        Since servos are rated in ounces to inch ratio, it means that a
pulley or wheel with an inch radius (2" diameter) attatched to the servo
should be able to lift the number of ounces specified. So,my method would be:

        1. Take a pulley w/a 1" raduis, and get some string
        2. Put the string through the pulley, and under one wheel of the robot
                (as shown below: excuse the ascii graphix if their sloppy:
it's 12:00 here & i'm just running on caffeine)
                   sss                     p=pulley s=string w=wheel 0=weights
                  spps
                 spppps00000
                  spp 000
                   sssss
ssssssss
wwwwws
wwwwwwws
wwwwws
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

        3.Put weights onto the end of the string on the pulley NOt running
under the wheel
        4. Wen the robot beling to go forward, that is the needed starting
torque for the robot.
        5. Weigh the weights, in oz. Or convert from another unit
        6. that is the torque needed.Of course, you must take into effect
the forces of friction, which are different on carpet, floor and grass.
Also, you can take into account how many motors you are using for propelling
the robot.

Does this sound OK? anyu comments are wanted, if you'll give them!

thanks much!
phil
thehahns@nconnect.net