 Robotics / Handy Board / 2444
RE: Corrupted or Invalid Pcode?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:59:55 GMT

I've discovered the problem.  When I mounted the Handyboard, I used metal
standoffs.  When the board is mounted,
it doesn't work.  When it isn't, it does.  The solution then I guess is to
use nylon washers to isolate the Handyboard
from the standoffs.  Fred, is there a reason for the strange behavior using
metal standoffs?  If so, maybe that should
be emphasized in the installation instructions as well as here on the
mailing list.

Thanks,
James Lewis

-----Original Message-----
From: James Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 9:16 AM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Corrupted or Invalid Pcode?

I have been using the Handyboard successfully for over 6 months.  Recently
I've decided to mount it on my robot base.  After all the dust settled last
night, I powered up the Handyboard.  Since I put the batteries elsewhere on
the robot, I put a keyed connector between the batteries and the Handyboard
(for future expansion!).  Since the battery was disconnected for some time,
when I applied power I just got the dark row of blocks on the LCD.  I
figure, no big deal, I just lost the pcode.  So I use hbdl to reload the
pcode.  All seems to go well.  I reboot the Handyboard and the "Interactive
C V 2.81..." banner appears on the LCD.  I then try to start IC on the PC
with the following problems.

1)   IC stays at 'Synchronizing with board' until I reset the handyboard.

2)  Then IC comes back with the following message.
'Pcode version 10.81 detected'
'Invalid pcode or pcode corrupt."

I have tried various pcodes (downloaded directly from the Handyboard page
v3.1 for the retail version as well as v2.81 freeware).

All have the same results.

My question is this.  It seems as though one bit is sticking high (10d =
1010b, 02d = 0010b).  But why would the LCD work then?

Thanks for any suggestions.

James Lewis
jlewis@nomadics.com