 Robotics / Handy Board / 2441
Re: IR connection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:21:59 GMT

Hello,

I attached a Radio Shack IR emittter / detector
to the handyboard to cure my touch sensor faults
I'm using the Legobug. The problem is that chair
legs fit between the sensors and don't trigger the
switches. The IR sensors are mounted on the inside
of the arms and if an object breaks the signal it
will tell the bot to backup. I put the sensors in
analog ports is this right? And if so how can I
use them to do this task.

Thanks for any help,
RANDY

Howdy-

I put mine into the analog ports, but not directly- here's
how I do it-

                      +Volts

                         / R1
                         \ 47K
                         /
                         \
                         |      "Analog" Out
             R2 1K       |
      >------\/\/\-------o------------>

   Sensor In            --- C1
                        --- 10uF

                       -----
                        ---
                         -

You may discover that you need to alter the parts somewhat to get the
response you desire. The "Analog" Out peak voltage is approximately 1/2
of +Volts (at +5VDC) with the setup I've shown here. R1 is simply a
pullup resistor to supply some 'juice'. It will work without it but
with it you'll get a better peak voltage. Also, you might be able to
use a larger voltage and get a better range- I haven't played with this
extensively myself though. R2 and C1 adjust the amount of "smoothing"
and "decay" of the output signal. Try varying C1 first before messing
with R2 if you need to adjust it.

If you like, you can also check out my web page http://www.vnet.net/wizorg
and see some IR proximity sensors I built for my Gadget robot.

Hope this helps-

John Whitten
brat@naxs.com