 Robotics / Handy Board / 2415
Re: Future versions of handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 06:20:34 GMT

Keith the wonder wookie wrote:

Are there any plans in the works now for future versions of the
handyboard?
What new features would people like to see?

I suspect there probably aren't such plans. One of the problems is the
amount of infra-structure needed for a successful board. Basically you
need a good board and a good
development environment, and you have to be as inexpensive as possible
to get critical
mass. Basically it costs money to develop a system and there is no way
to recover that
investment so the Handyboard, which was the progeny basically of the
6.270 board
whose development was funded by the need for a board to support a class.

That being said, if you can find someone who is willing to add robotics
features to
a board they are designing for some other reason it can work.

If I were to design such a board I would probably upgrade at least one
pair of the
motor drivers to something in the 5 - 9A range and probably add a 32K
EEPROM
and eliminate the RAM memory backup. I'd also consider going with a
68HC12.

I've spent a bit of time designing "ultimate I/O" pins for such a
system, basically
programmable I/O that are programmed as either inputs or outputs, and
then
either digital or analog. The question is always how fast you want your
analog I/O.
Ideally we could get a mixed signal ASIC built (perhaps using techniques
like the
Amateur Radio folks use to get satellites into orbit)  I've tried to get
Maxim
interested but they want a 500K/yr commitment.

--Chuck

--
--Chuck McManis       http://www.professionals.com/~cmcmanis/index.html
All opinions in this message are those of the author. No warranty as to