 Robotics / Handy Board / 2300
RE: HBDL still not working with win95...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 04:51:05 GMT

2 things to try...

first... slow down the baud... 9600 should be fine for a 64k program... it may
take a min but how much speed do you need?... if that works... try 19200, 38700,
blah blah blah...

if neither of those work... jump into your bios and slow down your isa clock...
the isa clock is usually 1/3 the pci speed.. (33/3=11) if you have serial or
modem trouble... it could be that your serial controller is getting flooded...
this shouldn't happen in normal cases, but slowing it down to 1/4 (33/4=8.25)
this is also a common problem if you use faster bus speeds to over clock your
computer.. example... my mother board has a 75mhs bus speed feature... pci speed
= 1/2 bus speed (37.5) isa speed is (37.5/3=12.??) isa is more prone to crashing
from over clocking than pci... but just take a look at what you're runnng on
isa... serial ports... parallel ports... modems, sound cards... nothing really
power intensive (if yer still running video on a pentium with an isa video
card.. you should be shot!)

i speak from experience... i was getting ZIP for bandwidth when i first got on
the internet with this machine.. (p188, 75mhz bus speed) i bugged the guys at
deepwell, i used 4 different operating systems to try and see if it was my nt 4
screwing up again.. i busted out a couple old modems i have lying around.. i
finally tried using my roommate's computer... it worked fine... with all of my
modems... that lead me to the serial port problem.... fixed it... everything was
peachy...

if you have a 166 for sure... you may have one of the new mother boards with the
funky fresh 83 mhz bus speed... (83*2=166) this may be the cause of the
problem... the solution maybe the isa clock thing, or you may have to
reconfigure the jumpers to 66mhs bus with the 2.5 clock multiplyer (66*2.5=166)

if that latter is the case... i'll shed a tear for you... 83 mhz bus speed
rules!!!!