 Robotics / Handy Board / 2277
2276  |  2278
Subject:
Handyboard Troubleshooting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:16:33 GMT

I was given a Handyboard v1.2 some friends of mine and it wasn't
functioning correctly. I used the assembly and troubleshooting
instructions to try and get  things working, and then I got stuck..
Here's the deal:

I got to step 6.0.5, testing the LCD screen.. I believe my problem is
somewhere in the memory circuit.. I get no errors when I program the
bootstrap, CONFIG, and the pcode_hb.s19 (I'm using DL for DOS).
When I power on the handyboard, I get no beep from IC, no LCD display
(see below).. running IC at this point does nothing but give me errors..

I'm not sure if this is right, but once I put in the 74hc132 and the
memory IC, the charge LED always stays on at power up (instead of
blinking like it usually does) - is this correct?

Also, the LCD display might be busted too - when I plug it is, the top
row is dark (all on), but the bottom row is dimly light..

The 74HC373 soldered to the board might be the problem, too, but I don't
want to desolder it until I can try and pinpoint the actual problem.

Everything else seems to work so far: entering download mode, downloading
the code, etc.. Do you have any suggestions? I have replaced the 74HC132,
but haven't replaced the memory IC (I don't know where to get a
replacement).. I don't know how/why the memory IC or the soldered 74HC373
would fry, but its possible..

Oh, this board used to work, until someone used the wrong 4-wire cable on
it, and then it stopped working.. That's when they gave it to me..
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks..

Joe
smooth@acs.bu.edu