 Robotics / Handy Board / 2232
2231  |  2233
Subject:
Vision for Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 00:50:27 GMT

I am thinking about interfacing a color CCD camera to the handyboard.
BGmicro has some for $59, so I was thinking about how to experiment in
this area Does anyone have any experiance on this, or know of any good
web pages I could look up? I realize some smart people from MIT came up
with a board that will process CCD information, but it costs $700! That
is out of my price range!!!!

I have this idea already, but would really appreciate more ideas!

I thought that I could take a color CCD($59, bgmicro) camera, hook it
up to a transmitter ($19.99, JDR microdevices), and transmit it to my
computer's serial or parallel port (I have a p66 w/ 8MB of RAM: is this
enough power?), and then write some routine in C to blit it to screen.
This would be the hardest part, because I already have a routine that
tests a pixel onscreen for its color value, so I could use that to find
shapes. I would then relay information back via some sort of
transmitter, like a radio or walkie-talkie in commands, where a number
equals a letter (ex: 1 = a, 2= b, etc.), to tell it abourt an obstacle,
etc. This will add up to about ($70, plus batteries @$10, plus any and
all necessary programming on my PC, in c++). IS there any other way of
doing this?

Thanks for any and all help!
phil
thehahns@nconnect.net