 Robotics / Handy Board / 2198
Re: IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 16:48:28 GMT

Hello all,

I've been playing with IR proximity sensors, and wonder if anyone can
provide some suggestions.

[...snip...]
1. I had a very difficult time getting any consistent reflectance...
..., it wouldn't detect anything unless I moved it quickly in
front of the emitter/detector.  If I stopped moving, it stopped
detecting.  Could this mean that the detectors really aren't 38kHz?)

I am not there with you obviously so I cannot see your exact situation
but when I was first playing around with the IR detectors (same kind,
38KHz from radio shack) I had the same problem. I finally tracked it
down to my IR clock being way off (by at least an order of magnitude-
don't recall now though which direction- probably too fast)- anyway
what I was detecting was a sort of "slewing" effect I reckon. I fixed
the clock and the effect vanished. Your mileage may vary.

2. Is there any way to change the frequency of the IR output so I could
use the 32kHz IR detectors?  If not, no big deal, I'll build Keith's
circuit which is set up for 32kHz....

I think you'd have to rewrite the routine, at least poke some new values
for the clock/counter but overall probably not that difficult. I haven't
seen the source to all of that except briefly (though I expect to be
intimiately familiar with it soon... :)

Thanks for any input,
-=Fred Cass=-

Dunno if this is what your problem is, but I hope it helps.

John Whitten