 Robotics / Handy Board / 2155
Re: Vector 2x compass
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 21:18:34 GMT

"J" == Jennifer Carter <JCarter@CompuServe.COM> writes:

J> I'm still having problems with the Vector 2x compass.  I tried
J> resetting the compass as Tom Brusehaver instructed and I spent
J> some time going over the schematic.  It still doesn't work and I
J> don't see any obvious problems. I will have access to an
J> oscilloscope tomorrow and will check the clock, input, and output.
J> Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

If when you get to the o'scope you aren't seeing any clocking,
disconnect the P/C pin first.  Powercycle the compass with this
disconnected.  You still won't see anything, until you ground this
pin.  Once you software is working, (i.e. the compass is reading "0"),
then ground the pin.  Hopefully now you start seeing clock and data
(and maybe something on the LCD display).

I guess if this is working, check to see if the P/C pin is going from
+5 to gnd using the comp_init, comp_disable command.

I have seen a compass appear to go bad, but it usually gives really
bogus readings, and not 0.

Have you socketed the compass?  If you have, maybe you can borrow a
second one to test with (do you live near minneapolis, I could loan
you one).

Do you have the compass and the HandyBoard sharing a ground?  If you
are getting separate power on the compass from the handyboard it is
really easy to forget about ground.

I can't remember, but I think you said you had the transistor on the
EOC pin, the resistor isn't really critical, I just grabbed something
so I wouldn't run 5V to ground.  Check both sides (base and collector)
to be sure the signal is getting through.