 Robotics / Handy Board / 2066
2065  |  2067
Subject:
(no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:32:00 GMT

"R" == RYBARCTL  <RYBARCTL@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> writes:

R> Before I purchase the $50 vector 2X compass, I want to know if it
R> is compatible with the version 1.2 handyboard.  I would also like

Yes it is.

R> to know how many handyboards ports are needed to interface with
R> the vector 2X compass.  If possible, I would like to know what
R> pins go to the specified ports in the handyboard controller.  I

See the schematic on the handyboard homepage.  1 motor pin, 3 SPI port
pins, and +5 and gnd.

R> know how sensitive this compass is to metal objects in respect to
R> a regular needle compass.  What I would really like to know is,
R> would it be worth the time and money to purchase the previously
R> described compass.  Thanks!!!!!  Tracy (yes, I am a woman!!!!!!!)

Well, what do you want it to do?  It is a little sensitive to passing
metal, fixed metal can mostly be calibrated out.  You really only get
5 samples per second, so if you are turning at anything greater than 3
degrees/second or so, you will probably overshoot.

It is good for knowing when you have turned, and gives you a
reasonable degree of accuracy for knowing present heading.  If you
were making maps, I would say it is useful.  If you want it to tell
you when you have turned 23degrees, it might not be exactly what you
want.

Good luck