 Robotics / Handy Board / 2057
Re: Communication problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:52:11 GMT

This drove me nuts, I tried DL and HBDL both gave me numerous different
error messages.  I finally told win95 to shutdown and restart in MSDOS
mode.  Then using the DL program, everything now works correctly.  It is
quite a rush to finally see the Interactive C banner on the LCD panel.  The
4 motor LEDs which I reported as being lit went out after the 6811 was
configured.  The board appears to be functioning correctly.  Hope this
helps...

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:33:58 -0700
From: Tunde <sac78395@saclink.csus.edu>
To: Bill Conroy <conroyw@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Communication problem

Bill,

I am having the same problem.  I tried many things and so far nothing
worked.  If you figure out how to make the board work, let me know.  In
the meantime I will try to test mine on a Win3.1 system in DOS.  If I
get some positive results I will let you know.

Tunde Gyurics

I have just attempted to communicate to the handy board and am receiving
the following error:

Expected 56, received 141, after 64 chars received
Perhaps the board was not connected properly or not in download mode.

I built the board myself and performed as many of the tests as I had
testing equipment (minimal).  The following is the configuration of the
cables and software along with the indications on the boards.

Computer:
using ic853r2 running in a MS-DOS window under Windows 95
Computer connected to Serial Interface/Charger using a standard PC modem • cable
Serial Interface/Charger connected to HB using standard telephone cable

Indications:

When I first turn everything on, the ser, pwr, and charge leds on the
Serial Interface/Charger are lit.

When I initially turn on the HB, both the Batt and Pwr leds light.  After a
period of less than a second, the batt led shuts off.

The LCD panel shows one line of gray squares where letters would be.

Next I turned off the HB.  To place it into download mode, I turn the HB
back on while pressing the stop button.  Both the both the Batt and Pwr
leds light.  After a period of less than a second, both leds shut off.

I run the DL software and the SER led on the Serial Interface/Charger and
the PWR led on the HB flicker until I get the error message.  After the
error is received, the PWR led on the HB stays illuminated.

It was interesting that I have run the DL software and the expected #
changes each time ranging from 50 to 100.

I have tried it with the power connected to the HB and the leds are
slightly different.  With power connected to the HB, the 4 red motor leds
are illuminated along with the charge led. All the other indications remain
the same.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to check next?  I have minimal test
equipment, basically a multimeter and a logic probe.  This project isn't
critical to my life and livelyhood but is something me and my son are
trying to do for quality time together.  Any help would be greatly • appreciated.
Dr. Bill Conroy                               conroyw@acm.org

William F. Conroy III                       conroyw@acm.org
Lt Col, USAF