 Robotics / Handy Board / 1971
Re: line following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:46:30 GMT

     Chuck, Chuck, Chuck...not EVERYONE in engineering and robotics is male.
I, myself, am quite definitely *not*, nor ever will be, male. Engineering is
a co-ed field, and women have made their mark upon it. While there are few of
us compared to the number of guys, we are still there, and our numbers are
growing. I am female, and I possess a high affinity for engineering, math,
and science, and I have been considered a "freak" for being not just good,
but excellent, in math and science for the majority of my life because people
see those subjects (along with engineering and medicine) as male subjects. In
this day and age, it is not considered a good idea to assume anything with
age, race, or sex because biases held against them are slowly being broken
apart.
    Secondly, I have very little programming experience -- I barely know
enough to do the mimimum of what I want to do, let alone something like that
-- and what programming experience I have is primarily with the miniboard,
which has quite little memory and can't do many of the things the Handy Board
can do.  My idea offering was to keep the program simple as well as have it
follow the line. The thing is, depending on where it is (how often the area
is walked on), the weather outside, etc., the value from the sensor can be
very close to 0 (a clean, shiny white tile) to 240 (a dirty tile), and with
the yellow tape I used, it ranged from about 50-100, even when dirty, so it
would give a more consistent reading than the tile.
    Also, what I was suggesting isn't an environment change, but a change in
planning. A half (width-wise) a piece of yellow tape and half (again
width-wise) a piece of black tape, and have one photosensor on each side, so
that one wants a high reading, and the other a low one rather than a full
piece of black tape with three photosensors.
    Ok, now that I'm done with that, have a nice day! :-)

-Katherine-
~Class of 1997~