 Robotics / Handy Board / 195
194  |  196
Subject:
zener diodes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 16:31:00 GMT

Bad idea. A small difference in ref voltage will drive most of the current
through one of the two.
That's also why I believe that putting l293D in parallele is also a bad idea.

In practice it seems that sometimes it works. It is just a bad design.
REPLY FROM: Barthelet, Luc
Subject: zener diodes
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 15:06:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "Jeff Keyzer" <jkeyzer@calweb.com>
        I'm trying to use zener diodes to regulate the voltage being
supplied to some motors I'm using with the handy board.  I'm curious,
though, can zener diodes be placed in parallel to handle more current?  My
understanding of their properties isn't quite clear, and I can see some
reasons why the would work, and some that they wouldn't.  Does anyone know
anything about this?