 Robotics / Handy Board / 1826
Re: your mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:41:49 GMT

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Phil wrote:

Hello!

I would like to know something: Does anyone know how the LCD screen on the
Handyboard opreates? More specifically:

1) does it have 8 in ports (kinda like the opposite of a P.C.'s parallel port?)
2) does it have a strobe (or respond pin ) that blits back a pulse after you
put 1 digit on the LCD?

If it works like this, I know a really cool circuit that will do some really
cool things for your robot!

The chip you are really interfacing with here is the HD44780 controller
on the back of the lcd. It has a character set and a register. You write
the register and the controller displays the appr. member from its char.
set. There is some initialization required for the display.

There is lots of stuff on the web. Search for lcds, hd44780, etc. Here are
some urls that might have all you need:

http://www.iaehv.nl/users/pouweha/lcd.htm
and a sharp compatible data sheet:
http://www.sharpmeg.com/datasheets/displays