 Robotics / Handy Board / 1796
Re: IR for bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:19:36 GMT

Or is it necessary to inject another frequency on the 40 Khz that can be
decoded? Then the output of the decoder (like a 567) is read by the HB.
I understand that tone encoding allows for multiple tasks on one
carrier, But my main interest here is for object avoidance.

Our robot worked well with a dual 555 timer.  38KHz for the IR and
combined with a 500 Hz square wave.  When the square wave was high, 38K
was on, making it a 50% duty cycle transmission.  As I understand the
receiver circuitry, it was tuned to 38K.  Worked fine for us, but I
don't know the correct answers to why 50%? Why modulate?  Why not just
straight 38K?