 Robotics / Handy Board / 1776
Re: Odometers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 02:37:01 GMT

"You pass this way but once, do it right"

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Gordon Smith wrote:

Has anyone used odometers to make their bot drive in a straight line.
I am trying to do this and it seems like the delay in reading the
encoder values from 1 line to the next causes problems.  I have tried
taking two results after sleeping for 0.3 seconds subtracting
these 2 values and correcting accordingly but this still doesn't
work well.  Maybe the time isn't precise enough???
If anyone can share their experiences with this I would appreciate
it.

Here is a sample of the procedure I call to check the encoders and
try to correct accordingly.

Thanks,
Tom Hueske

Tom,
  The problem most likely is not with the code but with the motor driver
software.  At the present time, the handy board motor driver routine only
allows you to select from 7 power levels to the motor. With only 7 levels to
choose from, you won't have precision motor capabilites.

Gordon F. Smith II
SDSU Mechanical Engineering
Graduation: T -60 days and counting!

Exactly the problem. So I've kind of rigged my motor code to take care to
create more than 7 speeds. For instance, by alternating between to levels
of PWM very quickly you can fake more motor speed levels. The exact
amount of time at each level is a matter of experiment, but the concept
has been running my bot in real straight lines.  It's a bit processor
intense for what it doing though.

Demian Bigelow