 Robotics / Handy Board / 1713
re: ztx614
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:10:29 GMT

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Stefano Nardone wrote:

If I have interpreted the schematics correctly almost any npn can be used for
the ztx614. The 614 simply provides ground for the IR transmitter with a
collector current of about 3ma. The base current is set by the 10k R to about
(5/10k) 0.5ma. If I have calculated f=1/2*pi*RC for the TOC5 enabled
oscillator, then the frequency max of the IR output is in the kilohertz range.

I think it must better be a darlinghton and it must support enough current: if
you want to get 0.1A or more pulsed current in the IR led, the transistor must
have a rather high current gain, more than that of an ordinary npn trans (by
the way the base current is less than 0.5mA). Probably an N-MOS switch with the
right switching V and enough current (BS170?) can be better...

How are you gonna get 100 ma through a 1k resistor biased by 5volts??
The max would be 5ma. I have *never* heard of a LED this size that can
handle more than 20ma!! This LED is tiny. I don't know where pin one of
the jumper goes to or its use but I know you can't pull more than 5ma
through that 1k resistor when the whole board has a supply of 5 volts.

This all means that almost any medium power npn can be used!

thx,
jm