 Robotics / Handy Board / 1705
Re: Re:Re:system time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:42:32 GMT

Hi Joe,

    From the code below I see that there are a few things
    that I see that may be a bit  incorrect.

    In the main() function, I see that there is a statement
    "while(1);". This statement is a complete C statement
    which will loop forever with out any body of work done inside.

    Secondly, after the "while(1);", there is the statement that
    will start the process as you like to do. I am not fully
    understan the intention but my guesse is that you want to
    start a process once for the time keep track (not in side
    the while(1) loop i.e. you would not want to keep creating
    a process forever).  Continue creating processes may
    cause run time error due to board runs out of the resouces
    for processes.

    Lastly, the time keeping process that you are creating
    needs to be in the while(1) loop to continue keep track
    of time.

    My correct of code (without knowing or understanding
    fully of your intention) is below. It seems that there
    might be a better alternative in implementing the
    the program that you want.

    void time (int d)
    {
          while (1) {
               d += 1;
          }
    }

    main (void)
    {
          int d;
          /*
           * Get the time at start and start the process
           * to keep update the time.
           */
          start_process(time(d), 1, 50);
    }

    For the "casting" question early on, I saw that there is a mail from
    some one that explains "casting". The mail did a nice work to
    explain "casting" and the things that you need to be aware of
    when casting from "float" to "int".  Information may loss along
    the way.   My personal opionion on "casting" is to avoid if you
    can, good planing can help a lot and it makes code more
    maintainable.

    Good luck with you attempt...

Regards,
-Pandit