 Robotics / Handy Board / 1689
  re: ztx614

If I have interpreted the schematics correctly almost any npn can be used for the ztx614. The 614 simply provides ground for the IR transmitter with a collector current of about 3ma. The base current is set by the 10k R to about (5/10k) 0.5ma. If I (...) (28 years ago, 17-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  re: ztx614

(...) I think it must better be a darlinghton and it must support enough current: if you want to get 0.1A or more pulsed current in the IR led, the transistor must have a rather high current gain, more than that of an ordinary npn trans (by the way (...) (28 years ago, 19-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  re: ztx614

(...) I just looked back to the IR transmitter schematic... The 1K res + RED LED you see there is for the only purpose of having a visible feedback of IR transmission. The IR Led and it's limiting resistor (if the case) will be connected in series (...) (28 years ago, 19-Mar-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)