 Robotics / Handy Board / 1598
Re: IR Collision avoidance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 01:02:00 GMT

The part number on the device from Radio Shack is "GP1U52X".  In our
earlier discussions, I thought I made it clear that I was using "the
Radio Shack IR detector module", although I may not have quoted the
number.  If Sharp makes a module without the AGC and all the
annoyances it's caused me, I'll get some and try them out.  My
initial success with an older sensor operating in the mode of "switch
the 40Khz off and on a few times at random and see if the sensor
shows the same pattern so I know it's really my signal I'm seeing"
led me to believe this would be simple to implement in software.
Then I got the new Radio Shack modules with the AGC and ended up
building the 555/567 modulator/demodulator circuit to get the silly
things to work.  If I can go back to just plugging a handful of
sensors into the digital inputs on the HB, and a handful of IR LEDs
into the LED driver output and do it all in software, that would be
great.  Apparently a large part of our initial confusion was due to
the fact that we thought we were using the same part, when in fact we
were not.

                                                                -Bill

...<snip> ...
Bill (the heretic :-) Richman's description of how these things work
is essentially correct except that we disagree on the frequency
response of the AGC and the operation of the AGC in the presence of
a valid signal. Of course "IR module" isn't a precise description of
the part under test. After talking with Bill privately about his
theories on why he was getting the behaviour he saw I tested the
seventeen IS1U60 (http://www.sharp.co.jp/ecg/unit/is1u60/is1u60.html)
parts in my stock bin and, under controlled conditions, (closed box
testing) the IS1U60 will produce an output as long as the lens
sees a 38Khz signal. However, I reccomend using a modulated output
because it aids in the discrimination against background noise that
is so essential. (Which means the discussion of the actual operation
is moot if all parties advocate a usage scheme that accomodates their
notion of the operational aspects of the part :-)

                            -Bill Richman
                             bill_r@inetnebr.com
                             http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r