 Robotics / Handy Board / 1534
  Re: IR collision avoidance

This question seems to come up a lot here so I thought I'd post to the list rather than reply individually. Here's what I'm doing for IR collision avoidance. First, the hardware: I'm using 3 Radio Shack IR LED's in parallel and 3 Radio Shack IR (...) (28 years ago, 24-Feb-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR collision avoidance

Some comments and a few questions for Chris (...) We have "forward" and 45 degrees right". We wall hug to the right while you hug to the left. We ignore IR to left and use only the left contact switch for collisions (rare). (...) We had way too much (...) (28 years ago, 25-Feb-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR collision avoidance

(...) ** My only question is how do you keep the bot at a constant 18 inches ** away from the wall with a collision detection algorithm? Is it ** possible to get analog outputs from a sensor indicating the ** distance from a wall? Or is there is (...) (28 years ago, 27-Feb-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR collision avoidance

(...) Good question! We had a lot of noise problems and learning curve stumbles along the way. Our first bad news was that we had a range of a few inches. We finally beat that one fooling with frequencies, caps, etc. and then found out our range was (...) (28 years ago, 27-Feb-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)