 Robotics / Handy Board / 1521
Re: motor voltages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 02:12:32 GMT

have heard on this mailing list that there is a way to do this with a
diode array.  Can anyone refer me to a schematic in a book or just
describe it well enough in ASCII?

Use a couple power diodes in series with the motor power supply, _NOT_ the
motor itself.  You'll need pretty heafty diodes if you go this route.  A
typical Si diode drops between 0.6 and 0.7 volts when forward biased.
String a few together and you'll drop 0.6 volts across each one.  To go
from 9.6V to 6V you need 6 diodes.  Measure the stall current for your
motors and get diodes that can handle at least that much current.  If you
run them in series with the motor itself, they'll only go in one direction,
that's a diode for ya ;)  You're better off using a seperate supply for the
motors.  There's info on the HB web site for converting to two supplies.
It involes cutting a trace on the board and plugging in the new supply to
the motor power header, the four pin socket below the motor chips.

Now that I think about it, putting in diodes would be a real pain.  You'd
have to cut the traces that supply the motor chips and splice in the diodes.

Hold on, new idea.  Modify the board for two supplies, but use the diodes
to drop the voltage on the HB's NiCad pack and feed it into the motor power
header.  Best of both worlds,  only one battery pack and lower motor
voltage.

It should work, I think!

later

harlan