 Robotics / Handy Board / 1479
Re: Automatic feeding.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:11:34 GMT

Has anyone worked up a system where a Hanyboard bot monitors it's battery level
and then when it starts to get low it rolls over to a charging device and
"plugs itself in"?   It seems like this should be doable but I don't think I've
seen any descriptions of workable systems.

Here's an idea for you:

For a mechanical system you could use two 'wiskers':
one on top and one on the bottom of the 'bot.
(Or one each side.)  You set up the 'feeding pen'
to be two parallel metal plates.  Set them up
so that the 'bot can roll up to it and the top
and bottom wiskers touch the metal plates.  Connect
the plates to a charger and the wiskers to the
charging circuit (Make sure to have a diode on
the 'bot to prevent shorting the battery if something
were to contact both wiskers.)

For a beacon, I would suggest that you use simple IR
devices.  Set it for a 'ping' mode.  ie: 'bot is hungry,
sends out a signal, beacon sends back "I'm here!"

Happy hunting,
Shelby Raymond