 Robotics / Handy Board / 1376
Re: Sample bump sensor routine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 13:02:33 GMT

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Bill Rose wrote:

I am having trouble writing a routine for my bump sensors.  Evertime I write
a program I can't get the analog ports to initialize.  I guess this is where
you would connect bump switches isn't it.  I can get my bot to go forward,
turn, and go backward but I am having a problem with the multitasking of the
motion and bump routines.  I have the mobile robotics book but just haven't
found the right combination.  I would appreciate any of you software people
for any help.

Why would you use the analog ports for a bump sensor?  Isn't that just a
contact switch?  Tie to a digital port pulled high with a 47K ohm
resistor, and have the normally open contact tie the pin to ground when
the contact switch is closed.  The analog ports, being able to determine
many levels of voltage, also have more overhead and timing concerns.  Use
the digital pins if you can.  Good luck.

-mike

* Michael L. Ross/C33 | Lockheed Martin Eng & Sci Svcs Co. ****
* Robotics Department | 2400 Nasa Rd. 1, Houston, TX 77058*****
* (281)333-7094; (281)333-6071 fax*    #include <disclaimer.h>*
* Finger me for my public key.  mross@outland.jsc.nasa.gov ****