 Robotics / Handy Board / 1304
Re: dual servo update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 05:47:49 GMT

Hi,
I spent a bit of time a couple of months ago re-arranging a lot of the Pcode
(we all get our kicks different ways!).  At that time, I concluded that the
printf routine (or more specifically the despooling function of the buffered
characters going out to the LCD) often ran on for an extended time.  This
was of course with interrupts disabled,  and it frequently caused even the 1
millisecond system tick to miss its scheduled time lots of times.  (I used a
microtimer to measure the real interval between 2 system ticks!) No wonder
that other timing sensitive functions like servo pulses get messed up.

Disable or dont use printf so that no despooling to LCD will be occurring.

Brian

I forgot to include the most interesting part of my findings.  Removing
printfs from my routines (which I did independently from all other fixes)
markedly improved performance of the servos.  This is actually one cause of
trouble which I think I have isolated pretty well.  However, I have had much
less luck explaining it.
Dave
Brian Lavery  B.E. MACS                  <blavery@acslink.aone.net.au>
Technical Manager - Systems              Tel +61 (2) 9370-9250
Mobex Pty Ltd Sydney Australia