 Robotics / Handy Board / 1267
RE: LM629 and "quadriture incremental" encoders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 02:25:11 GMT

The last time I priced these chips they were $249.00 each qty 1. (a bit expensive
for my robots, but I've used them and they are cool)
--Chuck

----------
From: James Lewis[SMTP:jlewis@nomadics.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 1997 5:10 PM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: LM629 and "quadriture incremental" encoders

I was reading through the mail archive last night and was struck by a
message someone sent regarding the LM629 motor controller.  It seems as
though this is a really cool chip!  I requested some samples and they are
on the way.  My question is this, I downloaded the data sheets and they
mention using an "quadriture incremental" encoder with this chip.  The
interface is three wires from the encoder to the LM629.  What is an
"quadriture incremental" encoder?  I am only familiar with the types of
encoders in the Mobile Robots book, which are what seems nothing more than
a single output of pulses.  Another thing is, where would one get these
types of encoders?

Thanks in advance,
James