 Robotics / Handy Board / 12
11  |  13
Subject:
resistors w/motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 20:15:56 GMT

I'm curious - can I limit the voltage to a motor by putting a
resistor in series with it?  What are the pros and cons of this solution?  I
have a bunch of low voltage (3V) motors that I'd like to be able to use with
the handy board, but giving them 9.6V burns them out rather quickly.  (No
surprise there...)  This seems like a very simple issue to resolve, but I'm
not sure how to do it.  What would happen if I inserted a several watt 1 ohm
resistor in series with each of my 3V motors?  Would it prolong their life
by reducing the power flowing through them?  (And reducing their speed,
which is fine.)