 Robotics / Handy Board / 1178
Re: sending signals over power lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:08:55 GMT

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Andrew S. McGeachie wrote:

Now what I am wondering, is how exactly is this done?  How are the signals
encoded?  Is AC required or can this be done over DC as well?  I'm
interested in doing something similiar, just not with appliances and house
current.

Whether the signal is traveling over AC or DC does not matter.
What type of current is running through the wires is unimportant.  What
is important is that your electical wires *already run all over your
house*.  What these devices are exploiting is this wire infrastructure.
Therefore if you wanted to do something over DC dont bother;  I dont know
of any houses which use DC current in their wiring, and if you are want
to send signals over wires carrying DC current you might as well just use
two separate wires just for communication and save some hassle.
Now, to exploit the already exsisting wires in your home Radio
Shacks device uses the fact that your house power is 60Hz AC current.  If
you create a device which brodcasts at any frequency *other* than 60Hz you
can comunicate without screwing up your power.  For instance you can
decide to make a '1' 1KHz and a '0' 2KHz (or something like that), and
then build something to recieve these signals youve got a serial line!

Hope this helps

Garth