 Robotics / Handy Board / 1176
RE: sending signals over power lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 17:42:44 GMT

There is a good write up on this in one of Steve Ciarcia's columns in BYTE magazine
some time in the early 80's. A quick stop at the periodicals desk of a technical library
might help you here.

--Chuck

----------
From: Andrew S. McGeachie[SMTP:strawberries-and-cream@atg.com]
Sent: Friday, December 27, 1996 9:05 AM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: sending signals over power lines

hello.  While this question doesn't pertain directly to the handyboard, I
thought I would post it here since I am using the handyboard in my project.
Some of you may have heard of this product: There are devices on the market
(radio shack and a few others sell them), that are used for controlling
appliances and lights remotely, and they work by sending signals over the ac
power lines in your house.  That is, you plug a special controller unit into
an ordinary outlet in your house, and replace the things you want to control
(a light switch for example), with special funky light switches.  The
controller box can then turn the light on and off by sending signals over
your house current, which the special light switch can receive and respond to.

Now what I am wondering, is how exactly is this done?  How are the signals
encoded?  Is AC required or can this be done over DC as well?  I'm
interested in doing something similiar, just not with appliances and house
current.

Thanks for any help.

- andrew