 Robotics / Handy Board / 1115
Re: Replacing Motor Driver 754410's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:32:03 GMT

At 7:46 PM -0600 12/12/96, Scott Mitchell Simon wrote:
Hello!

I'm looking for feedback on my proposed modification of the HB.  I
need to drive a 2amp motor with 24 volts.  I don't really trust the
754410's to handle that much power (not to mention the handyboard
traces).

What I'd like to do is replace each 754410 with two National
Semiconductor LMD18200's.  These are 3 amp, 55 volt H-Bridges.  They
have digital inputs for
direction (hi or low on one pin)
PWM speed control, which I assume is currently driving the
ENable pins on the 754410.  Please tell me if I'm wrong!
brake (pretty cool.  When hi, it ties both output pins to ground, to
quickly remove the field in the motor!)

I think I can just substitute the appropriate pins on the 18200's
for those on the 754410, and add a digital output from the HC11 to
control the brake (a nice feature in my eyes).

Any comments/criticsms would be most appreciated.

-Scott Simon
-Washington University

Scott

The 18200's are a pretty staight forward upgrade.  I'm currently
using two of them to run a couple power widow motors from a 12V gel cell.
They work great.  They get hot pretty quick, so a heat sink is a definite
must.
Scan through the list archive, there's some past stuff about using
the 18200's.  You can use a ribbon cable dip header to replace the
754410's.  Very easy.  The current sense feature is pretty cool too.  One
resistor and one analog port on the HB, and you can get a current reading
from the motor.
I've got a circuit board pattern for two 18200's and associated
stuff that has screw terminals for the high current end, and a 10 pin IDC
header for the control signals.  It's not a straight connection to the HB
but it makes things neat.  If you want the pattern I can send a PS version
of it.
Check out National's web site.  You can get the tech docs on the
18200 and order some _FREE_ samples.  No loss in giving them a try. :)

I have had no trouble with them

matt

Matthew J. Harlan
Cornell University