 Robotics / Handy Board / 1097
Re: ir obstacle detector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 03:16:30 GMT

Is this because you used a "bright" IR led?
Or perhaps the frequency is high, thus higher energy EM radiation?

Included in the fax they send you is a schematic for a transmitter and
receiver.  I used the transmitter and then, since I wasn't interested in
decoding the signal, I used the output as it was, with a capacitor to do
a bit of smoothing.  Connected it to the Handy/Mini board analog sensor
inputs and it gives a distinct level change as an object gets to within
about 20 cm.

Why is the distance do short?
You can use a remote control for a TV or someting from really far away and even bounce the IR off walls.
Doesn't that mean that you can do the same for a sensor?
Or is it that the current generation of phototransistors are not sensitive enough?
Or am I totally off and asking a dumb question?  :)

-e

I have been able to go a couple inches with just a simple infrared
emitter and detecter but I would like to be able to do (similar to what
you say) bounce it off the wall and back to the tv (12 feet each way) as my
remote can do with my tv.

Scott
sherman@plains.nodak.edu