 Robotics / Handy Board / 1068
1067  |  1069
Subject:
(no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 05:09:52 GMT

RE: Attached processors...
I have considered different ways of refining PWM speed controls on the HB,
and have decided to try adding another 'HC11, and use the PWM code example
in the Handbook. This seems easier (and smaller) than building it from "glue"
chips. I hope to write code to link the processors SPI ports.. This would
allow multiple-processors, and including the 'HC12 would be easily done,
too. Though a single-master SPI link is easiest, I can appreciate the
advantages of a multi-master system, to prevent "polling" for results or
unexpected updates. With all this talk of expansion options, I am suprised
that there is not more consideration of SPI for multiple-processor systems.
I think the "Mini-Board" would make a fine navigation processor, handling
PWM, Encoders, and low-level navigation stuff, thus freeing the bandwidth
of the Handy-Board for higher-level navigation, such as charting and course
selection.
On a completely different topic, I am currently waiting for parts to
increase the power levels of the H-Bridge design.. I am upgrading to TIP 140/
TIP 145's, which have ratings almost double the TIP 120/125's I am using now.
I will report back with the results...
My motors never pulled more than 5 Amps in my initial bench tests (with
load), but running on the 'bot warmed the transistors a bit more than I
expected.  Testing has shown that the motors may now draw over 8 Amps each.
Lesson Learned: Testing motor current on a 5 Amp bench supply will limit
the curent readings to 5 Amps! 8^) Oh well, We live and learn!

Lyle Hazelwood (lylehaze@n-jcenter.com)