 Robotics / Handy Board / *7244 (-100)
  Radio Communication and the Handy Board

In 1998 I made a mobile robot that communicates with a desktop computer using a radio module. Shortly after I accomplished this I made a webpage showing the results. Recently I moved to this page to another location. I invite you all to take a look (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Video Transmitters

Yeah, I think it was free for a first time customer! -- Ray Gary Livick <handyboard@media.mit.edu> wrote in message news:383C71AB.C0C8B2...ell.net... I received the X-10 cam I ordered two days ago. It arrived right on time, and is pretty impressive (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR detection

Yeah. It is a material that will illuminate when a IR source shines a beam on it. -- Ray Dovi Poznanski <handyboard@media.mit.edu> wrote in message news:3837E5F9.517BC7...u.ac.il... hey does anybody know how an IR sensor card works? -- Dovi (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  ratings of stepper and servo motors

hi all what are the ratings (voltages and currents loads) of stepper and servo motors compatible with the handy board. cheers fazal (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: HandyBoard died

I am sorry to hear about your situation, but I would like to point out that this sort of thing is exactly why the handyboard could, I believe, benefit from having a durable case made for it, which provides all access to the handyboard's (and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  test

Testing (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: PID Control

(...) Yep ... and no. The following was applied to a pneumatic cylinder controlled via an Amplicon Liveline I/O card and an SMC proportional valve (ie not Lego). code ***...*** pidloop: 'e = error, sp = set point (desired value), pv = process value (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE: PID Control

This sounds like the sort of software that would be benifitial to everyone working with the Handyboard, perhaps it could be posted on the HB site? Fred? Reagrds, Matt (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: PID Control

Hi Mike: May I obtain also the code that you mentioned? I'm supposing the code was used at the HandyBoard? Thanks in advance for your help... Victor G. Ruiz Aranda ruizvic@mx1.ibm.com IBM de Mexico S.A. Coordinador IAS Planta de Manufactura T/L (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: colour sensor

I would suggest that the sensors are picking up IR. I would wager that your color filters are passing the IR with little attenuation and that your sensors are peaked in the IR region and little affected by the visible color information. If you have (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: colour sensor

(...) I posted to this yesterday, but my reply seems to have not appeared. What you need to have, is four sensors, not three. The fourth has no filter, and measures 'ambient' light. You then need to compare the return from this, to the other three (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  HandyBoard died

Hi all! I have some troubles with my HB. I have set it up together with the expansion board, and it worked properly and very fine. Then once, unfortunately, the LCD, connected to the expansion board, touched one of the five motor-power diodes, and (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: PID Control

Bill I have code in QuickBasic and C, would this be any good to you?? It was code that I used at Uni and both versions have been tested on real apps so I know they work. For example, I developed a pneumatic cyclinder controller based on the QB (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  PID Control

Has anyone out there developed a good PID control program in IC. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it was already available. Thanks Bill Denzel (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: colour sensor

(...) I have typically used phototransistors rather than CDS photocells but both will work depending on the application. Sensors are like computer programs, when they do one thing they are fairly easy, if they do multiple things they are more (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Ceramic resonator for mini board

(...) I searched their site and got the SMD components only for some reason. But the part you want is in there. Try either PX800-ND or PX800MC-ND I'm not sure what the difference is. the 'MC part looks like what I've used but the Manual states that (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  colour sensor

hi chuck i tried using the photocells i got with the gleason research sensor motor kit. i used red green and blue filter, but the values are almost same (with a variation of 1 or 2). the variation is much more sensitive to the distance between the (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Ceramic resonator for mini board

Hi all, I am having a problem with the ceramic resonator for the Miniboard and I hope someone out theer may help. In the MiniBoard part list the ceramic resonator is listed as DigiKey part # PX800. However, that is an incomplete part number that (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  MIT 6.270 robot design competition, Thursday, Jan 27

hi everyone, the mit 6.270 contest is this week. it's open to the public; you just show up. the official start time is 6 pm. that means you must get there between 4 and 5 pm, depending on how good you'd like your seats to be. typically, all the (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  typos corrected in README for 6.270 SPWM routines

Sigh...you proofread and proofread, and still you miss typos... I found and fixed some in the file ftp://junior.apk.net...0_SPWM.TXT So, if you grabbed it yesterday, grab this one again today. Sorry for the inconvenience. *Rich* (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Distance Sensors

Hi Raj, Your range of interest is small, but see if you can get anything out of the Sharp IR sensors from Acroname ((URL) luck! (...) ______ ______ ---...--- |_ _| |_ _| Kam Leang | |______| |______ University of Utah | |_ _| |_ _| Department of (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Distance Sensors

Hi All: Does anyone know of any good mini distance measuring sensors which can be used with a microprocessor? The required range is 0-30 mm and small size. Names of distributors would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Raj (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Handy Board Not Responding

It is possible to overcharge the HB only if you use the Serial Interface & Battery Charger board switched into Zap charge mode. Zap charge mode will fully charge the HB battery in three hours, after which point the battery will overheat and could (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Handy Board Not Responding

I was using the handy board when it ran out of power. I decided to charge the board for 14 hours but I actually left it charging for 17 hours. Afterwards I tried downloading the pcode_hb.s19 into the board to make sure it would work. Unfortunately I (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  lugnet.off-topic.test

This is a test (25 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Smooth PWM codefix for 6.270 boards available

I know this is the Handy Board mailing list...but we are still using 6.270 boards in my course, and I recently finished porting Julian Skidmore's Smooth Pulse-Width Modulation (SPWM) motor routines over to the 6.270 board. This software upgrade (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: sonar

The location(C7) for the .1uF that you are refering to is located on the sonar driver board, on the lower left corner of the ribbon connector. Any non-polarized cap will do just fine. (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: colour sensor

An optical sensor with a filter in front of it. Standard photocell works fine. Three of them, each with a red, green, and blue filter and then sampling the three inputs can be very flexible. --Chuck (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE:color sensor and Vision any one?

(URL) sells a relatively cheap camera/frame grabber package named the ramcam. you access it directly and treat it like a ram chip. The color vision would proboly be easy to interface as a color sensor. And To you Handyboarders out there, would this (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  colour sensor

what kind of sensor can i use to determine the colour of a surface. cheers fazal (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: sonar

(...) I would imagine that this is the case since Fred states on his page that it won't work without it on most versions of the driver board. The easiest way to do it is just desolder the two pads that align with the c7 position on the HB. Stick a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  sonar

i recently purchased a handy board, an expansion board, and a polaroid 6500 sonar sensor. i installed the expansion board, along with the appropriate libraries. i also plugged the sonar into the expansion board, and used the code for the sonar on (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  HP encoder

Hi, Does anyone know how to connect HP optical encoder to HP quadrature IC and Handyboard? Thanks. Regards, Will (25 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: multitasking

In my reading of it, it will just chew the cycles. Here is the routine msleep(), used to implement sleep. See how it just does a busy wait? I wrote a version (now gone into data heaven when my drive crashed) that would check the time, and then give (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  multitasking

How clever is the multitasking in IC? If I have a task that I only want to run ever 10 seconds, can I just put a sleep statement at the top of the routine? Will the sleep statement chew up processor cycles, or will IC realize that it should defer to (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Your site has been included on OpenHere

Hi, Your site has been included in the OpenHere.com index and search engine. OpenHere is one of the 10 largest index and search sites on the Internet. Your site listing is: Link: (URL) The Handy Board Description: The Handy Board is a 6811-based (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Handyboard C library for m6811 gcc port

Curt Mills, WE7U writes: > I was going to get to modifying it for Stephane's port, but haven't > gotten around to it. Thanks! I knew about this library, but I was hoping to prod some other porters to the surface with my comment. I guess I'll be (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Modifying a servo for use with HB

(...) What sources for servo hacking have you read? Depending on the servo (the Futaba S148 is the easiest), there are a few things to do. Using the 148 as my example; Clip off the end-stop and pull the bushing from the spline gear and remove the (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Handyboard and MIDI

I'm trying to use my handyboard to send MIDI messages to a host. I downloaded and tried the MIDI libraries from Colby Leider, and it looks like it's just what I need, but I can't get them to work with IC 2.8. Is anyone using the Handyboard with (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Hewlett Packard optical encoder

Hi, Since photo reflector with segmented wheel pattern doesn't help in precise mobile robot navigation, I intend to use Hewlett Packard optical encoder and I have selected HEDS-9140 series.I know someone has tried this item long time ago and I hope (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Modifying a servo for use with HB

If you just want to use them as motors, then B is the appropriate solution. You are correct in the motor PWM routines are just used to control the amount of energy going to the motors. The servo routines (using the expansion board) are the kind for (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Modifying a servo for use with HB

When connecting my servos (now gear head motors) to the HandyBoard - do I need to a) replace the pot with the resistor network or b) remove the electronics all together? I'm unclear if the PWM routines on the HB (fd, bk, and motor) are the kind of (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  multitasking support.

i'm running IC version 2.82. i'm not too sure how do i get the handyboard to do multi tasking on three routines: 1. control the velocity of the robot (i called the function 'dc') 2. steer (i'm steering with a front wheel) 3.identify strips on the (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Shaft encoder

I'm using a slot sensor (break beam) as part of my shaft encoding. the slot sensor is reading the number of breaks when the 6 spokes (attached to the shaft) spins. i'm using the Sencdr1.icb file to do drive the shaft encoder. i notice that there (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: AOL Instant Messenger

This is a SCAM ~ intended to get your password this isnt a valid AOL website ~ BE WARE of SPAMMERS (25 years ago, 20-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  AOL Instant Messenger

***...*** About AOL Instant Messenger ***...*** AOL Instant Messenger is a free software program that lets you see when your friends are online and exchange instant messages with them. It's a whole new way of communicating that's fast, simple and (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Handyboard C library for m6811 gcc port

(...) You'll find that a lot of the work has already been done for you. (URL) integrated what a lot of other people had done into a Handyboard library for gcc-2.8.1 I was going to get to modifying it for Stephane's port, but haven't gotten around to (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Handyboard C library for m6811 gcc port

I'm in the process of putting together a little C library that can be used to build handyboard applications with Stephane Carrez's GCC port ((URL) anyone has any suggestions or code contributions they would like to make, I'd be happy to hear about (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Attaching a servo to a Rug Warrior Pro

Mark, If you check out my contribution on this page, I have a servo driver that runs on the port your peizo buzzer is connected to. (URL) though the site is the Handy Board site, I have the software installed and running on a Super TCOMP, which is a (...) (25 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Attaching a servo to a Rug Warrior Pro

Ok - I'm a newbie! But I'm really hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup will be able to help me with extending the abilities of the Rug Warrior Pro I've been working with for the past 2 months. I've recently purchased and connected three (...) (25 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Refresh-rate of GP2D12

(...) (25 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Refresh-rate of GP2D12

Hi, there is a new datasheet available for Sharps GP2D12-device. The refresh rate is definetely worse than 32ms as posted before, the correct (worst case) value is about 53 ms. See: (URL) for details DIRK (25 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Robotics Show on TLC

(...) Thank you for this pointer. I taped it (locally it was at 2am Sunday!) and we found it very interesting. I especially like the wheel design behind the JPL Nanorover ((2 URLs) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  How to connect handy board with linux

Hi, I have a problem, I wish someone can help me. I use linux to control my handy board. I can type command under IC, but I can do nothing without IC. HOw can I do something out of IC? Like type some command in another terminal? Your help will be (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Can't get input capture to work

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the problem with the following driver. Ultimately I want to simulate a sony IR remote control using a 6.270 board. I acquired the sony-ir.asm and tried it out, but that wasn't working; so I trimmed it down (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Lego-izing the Handyboard.

Mark -- I built a chassis for my robot that cradles the HB and clamps two Lego gear motors solidly in place. Check out this web page for photos: (URL) side of the chassis consists of two sixteen-unit beams, one on top of the other with two-unit (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Lego-izing the Handyboard.

I've mentioned this subject before here, but I never really got an answer that made much sense... Has anybody ever tried building a reasonable "LEGO-ish" container for the Handyboard? Ideally, that would be a sturdy enclosure that still provides (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Using a 293B/293D combination

I read on this list over a year ago that you *can* piggyback the two different chips together and still get the spike protection from the L293D. It was explained that you don't need to piggyback two L293D chips, because one spike-protecting chip (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  OxOc register

I had short circuit my TOC3 with a 5V source once. i changed the processor and the board worked. but i noticed that whenever i downloaded the pcode.s19 file, it wants to set the OxOD register instead of the OxOc. i downloaded config0c.s19 from the (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: GP2D02 conversion

(...) Sorry for two messages about the same subject but after playing around a bit more with it I got better results. Here is the spreadsheet to calculate the constants to convert the GP2D02 output to centimeters: 0.1233 1.0320 9.3078 GP2D02 Actual (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: GP2D02 conversion

(...) Actually, the GP2DO2's output is not at all linear. Plotting the output against the actual distance will show an exponential curve. Each one is slightly different so what I do is to make up a little table in Excel like: 0,0 70,10 116,15 142,20 (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Using a 293B/293D combination

The HB FAQ mentions using the LM293B and LM293D chips in parallel (e.g., one L293D and one L293B) to gain increased current-carrying capability. My question is, if I do this am I losing the function of the spike-protecting diodes on the motor (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Fw: Whats Patrik Hui's Web adress?

Hello Alex, My web address is: (URL) Hui Robot Store (HK) patrick@robotstorehk.com (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: GP2D02 conversion

(...) You mean like value = 10 + ((70 * b) / 256) ? --Ben (25 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Whats Patrik Hui's Web adress?

Hi What is Patrik Hui web address? thanx -roboman robotman5@hotmail.com (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  GP2D02 conversion

Does anyone how I could create a lookup table or an algorithm to convert the output of the Sharp GP2D02 (0 to 255 = byte) to values between 10 and 80 cm, which is the reading capability of the IR? Thank you, J.M. Mongeau (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR Question

All of the IR sensors I've seen use a pulsed IR emitter so that the detector can distinguish between the emitted IR and ambient (e.g. sunlight). Some sensors simply measure the intensity of reflected IR, but this method doesn't work reliably unless (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  I have some simple questions

I am a new user of handy board. I use handy board based on Mac. After I download Handy_Board_v1.2.icd, do I need to download any other thing to handy board? Now the basic function like fd(3), ao() works, but the expend function like sonar does not (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Sorry, I just try

I am a new user of robot, I just try it! (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Robotics Show on TLC

Anyone interested, the show is: Extreme Machines: Incredible Robots A look at robots and the long-term benefits and possible consequences of their capabilities. Rating: TV-G Category: Other, Documentary Originating Country: United States Date Time (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Sensor questions

(...) The Electronic Surplus Dealer Goldmine, (URL) been selling some weather balloon electronics innards for a few years. On this board there are some relevant sensors: a thermistor, some sort of barometric chip and a humidity "device". The (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  IR Question

Greetings, I've heard mention of the various Sharp IR sensors which can give different distance readings for different zones. Part of my final year project is to design and investigate various sensors, but I really have to generate the stuff myself (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: SPI Port

I interfaced my Vector2X to the handyboard without using the SPI port and without any machine language. I set the compass to be in slave mode and used three digital outputs on the expansion board to control the RESET, SCLK, and SS lines. I used (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Sensor questions

You wrote: I then tried the LM34. There is no calibration pin and it uses farenheit. 1F=10Mv. For some reason, the output from this device varies very little with changes in the room temperature. Now the present room temperature is 58F, during the (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Sensor questions

(...) Sounds like fun! Go check out the EFI332 (hope I got that right) project. That's a project to build a 68332 board to control a larger engine. They'll probably have pointers to the different types of sensors that can be used with it, some of (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Sensor questions

(...) SNIP (...) Newark electronics used to sell a humidity sensor based on this principle for about $ 12. It should still be available. I believe it was made by Phillips. Basically the variations in capacitor value is used to vary the frequency of (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Sensor questions

I have several sensor questions. I would like to use my miniboard as an engine management system. At the present time, I have a small 2 cycle engine from a weed wacker that I would like to control. I would like to have the miniboard gather some (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  SPI Port

Hello - I have two sensors that require the SPI port: the Sharp GP2D02 IR sensor, and the Precision Navigation Vector Compass. I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to use both of these sensors at the same time, on the same port or by using some (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: "Traces"?

(...) That's exactly what I meant! I took a look in my dictionary ... "conductor path" may be the technical term. (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  PCB Designs

HI Any of you guys out there in robo land have any good PCB designs for high powered motor driver, IRPD's or a nice Handy Boardish thing that you dont know what to call. Thanx -roboman PS Got a PCB etcher system for XMAS and want some PCB designs (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: "Traces"?

(...) 'Trace', and 'track', are common parlance, for the wiring built onto the printed circuit board inside a unit. So the post is saying that you have to actually cut the copper 'tracks' inside the unit itself. Best Wishes (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  "Traces"?

(...) I've seen "trace" used a couple times as regards the Handyboard, concerning the leads from/to the inputs, I think??? What does it mean, what are they? Thx :) - Scarius (URL) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: GP2D12 Pinouts

(...) Just visit: (URL) are some modifications to the handyboard required, because the sensor does not work with the pull-up resistors on the handyboard. You have to cut some traces on the handyboard. A detailed description and a picture of the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  GP2D12

I just managed to connect a Sharp GP2D12 to my Handyboard. The advantage compared to the GP2D02-device is the analog output which does not consume processing power for clocking the sensor. Further information can be found at: (URL) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE: More servo stuff

I had the same problem. The servo would run fine if the program was not doing anything else. But if I was updating the pwm to the motor ports then the servo would jitter. I figured it was because the extra overhead was screwing up the timing on the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: More servo stuff

(...) I did this but it didn't help. *sigh* Thanks for the tip! (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: GP2D12 & Expansion Board

You can cut the trace going to the pullup resistor corresponding to analog(0) on the main board and then all of the expansion board analog inputs will be floating. Analog(0) is multiplexed to provide all of the analog inputs on the expansion board. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: More servo stuff

Try placing a capacitor across +5V and ground. Get something in the range of 0.1 - 0.47 microfarads and just plug it into the headers on the HB. This solved my problems. -Scott Harris (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  GP2D12 & Expansion Board

Can I use the Lego ports on the Expansion board for the GP2D12? Do these ports have pull resistors and if so can they be disconnected so the pin float as required by the Sharp sensors? -Drew (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  [Fwd: pneumatic info]

-- MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED: 1. Content-type: MESSAGE/RFC822 Content-Length: 1160 (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Interfacing GP2D02 with handyboard

If you are not conversant in assembly, it will be difficult to obtain code for each individual digital port unless you get someone to write it for you specifically. However, if you switch to GP2D12 sensors, and remove the pullup resistors on the (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  serial comm between HB and custom software

I am trying make a robot that communicates with a computer program build in borland C. can i use the serial port of the Handy Board? how do i send and receive commands or messages to and from the HB through my boland C program, using this serial (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: LEGO sensor

oops! Thanks Dr. Martin for catching my mistake about the rotation sensor. - Nick - (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  More servo stuff

I believe someone asked a similiar question to this but I didn't get an answer (I don't think). Question relating to the HB expansion board and servo control (or lack of same). I can control standard servos (S148, 3003 etc.) just fine, they run as (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: LEGO sensor

just to be clear, there are two types of LEGO sensor: active and passive: * passive -- touch sensor, temperature sensor. * active -- light sensor, rotation sensor (aka shaft encoder, angle sensor) without expansion board, the HB can only deal with (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: LEGO sensor

The LEGO sensors and the RCX are the same thing. The standard Handy Board (without an expansion board) can handle all of the passive LEGO sensors such as the touch and rotation sensors. The expansion board is needed to use the active sensors such as (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Higher voltage for HB battery

I find that the ideal solution to this situation is to build a power system for the robot. Maxim, Linear Technology, and National each make very easy to use switching regulators that can provide highly efficient DC to DC conversion. Building a (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  LEGO sensor

Some of the expansion board kits (all? sorry, haven't been paying much attention to the extension boards yet) mention that they have slots for LEGO style sensors. Does this mean the sensors they use on their RCX/Mindstorms stuff? What's the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Higher voltage for HB battery

I would like to know whether the HB can be used with a 12 V (ten AA cell) NiCd battery instead of the standard 9.6 V (eight AA cell) NiCd battery. Specifically, (1) Would the HB be damaged by the higher voltage, (2) Would the HB function properly (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Problem with my board

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Gary Livick <glivick@pacbell.net> writes: The motor doesn't work in my program, which has multiple processes running, but it still doesn't work when i just send the command through IC's interactive window: motor(1,50). (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact