 Robotics / Events / 141
Re: Pictures of Seattle Robot Competion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.wa
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:48:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.events, Mark Sandlin writes:
Thanks for posting those, David.

Any chance we could get a play-by-play on those pics?

Okay, I'll do it because there aren't that many pictures.  I was too wrapped
up in things to remember to take more.

pb040081.jpg - Sign just outside the Pacific Science Center.
pb040083.jpg - name badges that haven't been picked up yet; you get to
figure out your own solution as to how to attach them to yourself!
pb040084.jpg - the arena table.
pb040085.jpg - setting up the web cam.
pb040086.jpg - seems like web cam is working now.
pb040087.jpg - judges start placing the line tracking line.

pb040088.jpg - a robot that can walk and turn; it uses VCR button switches
under each leg to detect if it is going off the edge of the table.  I don't
remember the creator's name, but I was very impressed that it could also
*turn*, not just walk straight!
pb040089.jpg - some robots sitting around before the competition begins.
pb040090.jpg - Several line tracking robots.  There's also a non-LEGO array
of sensors used for tracking lines.
pb040091.jpg - The line is still being placed.
pb040092.jpg - Gus' robots - one for each event.  They were all winners too!
Though I didn't know that yet when taking the picture.
pb040093.jpg - The crowd starts gathering.

pb040094.jpg - Nearly finished putting the line down for the line tracking
competition.
pb040095.jpg - Prize table, and a crowd watching the line being placed on
the table.  You can see the science center's insect exhibit in the background.
pb040096.jpg - The online comentators talking about hairdos or something.
pb040097.jpg - Interviewing one of the judges.
pb040098.jpg - The line is finally finished.
pb040099.jpg - More people gather as the competition is about to begin.  I
was more and more surprised how many people were showing up.  This was great!

pb040100.jpg - Ray C. Freedman III, the organizer makes some anouncements
about how the competitions will take place.  Thanks for all the work you
did, Ray!!!
pb040101.jpg - Standing room only!  Wow!  Did I mention that a lot of people
showed up to watch?
pb040102.jpg - The score board for the line tracking competion - program
only division.
pb040103.jpg - Mark, I think it is, with a line tracker that worked
wonderfully (and incredibly fast!) on a 1" wide line on paper before the
competition.  Unfortunately the threshhold values were off on the real
thing, or perhaps it was that the official line was a bit narrower, but the
robot didn't do as well in the competition.  From what I saw beforehand, it
should have been either first or second place.
pb040104.jpg - Gus watching his line tracker robot finishing in 6 seconds!
Amazing.
pb040105.jpg - Is it possible to fit any more people into this area to
watch?  I'm sure if anyone else shows up it will be the Fire Marshal to tell
us there's too many people here already!

pb040106.jpg - The other half of the audience.
pb040107.jpg - Gus wins the sumo competition with his robot.
pb040108.jpg - The puck gathering events.  That's 100 pucks?  Looks more
like 500 to me!  Sure is a lot, in any case.
pb040109.jpg - Gus' robot picks up more pucks.
pb040110.jpg - Gus' robot looking for more pucks.
pb040112.jpg - That's me explaining NQC to my only challenger in the LEGO+
sumo event.  I wish I could remember his name.

pb040116.jpg - My "Death Star" sumo robot.  It has Darth Vader piloting it
(in the small window).  The kids really seemed taken with the sleek lines of
this robot.  I had a dozen of them asking to see how it worked afterwards.
pb040118.jpg - Explaining the details of my robot to kids and adults alike.

--
  David Schilling