 Robotics / Education / 9
8  |  10
Subject:
SF Convention Robotics Demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:55:07 GMT

Since Terry asked me over, and I hadn't noticed this group before...

  On October 23rd I did a robotics demo at a local SF convention in Denver
Colorado.  I was bummed this was on the same day as the SRS Robothon AND
Mindfest, but, I made the best of it.

  I took four DIY robots, a Mindstorms RCX 'bot and a Parallax BoE-Bot with
me.  Other than the DIY hexapod, the two robots that got the most attention
were the RCX and the BoE-Bot.

  There are some basic differences in the things that the BoE-Bot and RCX
excel at when using them as teaching tools.  This is how I presented them:

RIS system

  Can be used to teach physics and mechanical systems designs with the huge
selection of gears and other mechanical contraptions available to investigate
various systems.  Can teach logical thinking and programming with either the
included programming system or the NQC system which is a more "traditional"
type programming language.  Is a very good tool for teaching critical and
logical thinking as well as problem solving and testing.

Parallax BoE-Bot

  Can be used to teach electronics theory, modern commmunications systems,
programming, logical thinking and reasoning and electronic circuits.  This
robot requires that various experiments be built on its small solderless
protoboard and then programs written to access and use these electronic
systems.  It comes with two IR LEDs, two IR demodulators, two photosensors,
a 555 timer, speaker, buttons, resistors, capacitors and wires.  The manual
is written in a lesson format specifically for the purpose of using this
platform as a robot.

  The two systems appeal to two different kinds of people, one that is
interested in creating automated mechanical systems without electronics
work, and the other for those who are interested in learning electronic
systems and low-level programming of automatic equipment and robots.

You all know where to get info on the RIS, to get more info on the BoE-Bot
(Board of Education Robot) you can go to http://www.parallaxinc.com, and
check out my web page http://www.verinet.com/~dlc/botlinks.htm.  I am
currently writing a section of their manual dedicated to logical creation
of robotic finite state machines and subsumptive robotic programming methods.
It is intended to fit into their "lesson" oriented format.

have fun,
DLC