 Robotics / Education / 69
68  |  70
Subject:
The Unibots did GREAT at State Robotics competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:51:45 GMT

News Release
For Immediate Release

Kathryn Hughes Elementary School LEGO Robotics team, the Unibots, take
Second Place and Rookie All Star awards at state competition.

San Jose, CALIFORNIA, December 3, 2000 - 2 weeks after their stunning rookie
performance at a local competition in Cupertino, the Unibots repeated and
even improved their performance at the State Competition held today at the
San Jose University Events Center.  With a top score of 190 points, the
Unibots were 5 points short of the winning score of 195 points, scored by
The Phillips Edison Boogie Monsters. The Unibots' average score for the day
of 180 points not only exceeded their best score from two weeks ago, but
also represented the second highest score of the 67 teams competing here
today as well as the highest score posted at the southern California
tournament held yesterday at LEGOLand California in Carlsbad.

Team coach Peter Vogel said: "The team has really impressed me over the last
twelve weeks as we've been preparing for this competition.  They have not
only mastered programming and engineering design with LEGO elements in order
to produce a robot of this caliber, but they also demonstrated a remarkable
ability to perform under pressure and remain calm in the face of the
unexpected.  It's almost unbelievable, a team of nine 4th and 5th graders is
out here today not only calmly going against teams much older than
themselves, but scoring consistently higher than almost all of them!  I
think this is the best possible demonstration of the principle that given a
challenge, even a daunting one such as this year's game, children will rise
to it and exceed all expectations placed on them."

The FIRST LEGOT League is a revolutionary program developed by FIRST (For
Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), a non-profit
organization dedicated to returning the United States to a leadership
position in science and technology through programs designed to inspire
children to learn and discover the wonder of engineering, science, and
technology.  Founded in 1989 with the FIRST Robotics competition for
high-school students, FIRST created the FLL program in 1999 in partnership
with the LEGO Company as a way of reaching children at an earlier age, when
their feelings about science, math, and technology have not yet been formed.

Kathryn Hughes Elementary School, at 4949 Calle de Escuela in North Santa
Clara, serves several neighborhoods in the West Agnews region, including the
Citation homes developments Mission Park and Robin's Run.  Part of the Santa
Clara Unified School District, Hughes has a diverse student body of nearly
500 students this year.  The Robotics team was made possible by a grant from
the Santa Clara Liberty Lodge and matching funds from the  Hughes PTA.
Coach Vogel adds "As one of only three teams in the Santa Clara Unified
School District, we are very grateful to the Liberty Lodge and the Hughes
PTA, as well as the outstanding staff at Hughes for their unwavering support
over the past year as we've worked to make a Hughes Robotics Team possible.
I also have to thank the companies I've worked for over the past 12 weeks,
iReady Corporation and Arsin Corporation, both of Santa Clara, for their
support and understanding of the time I've taken to coach the team after
school.  I really feel strongly about my obligation to the community to
ensure the best possible education for our children."

Peter A. Vogel, Coach of the Unibots                                Joanne
Anderson, Hughes Principal
Phone: 408-569-7067                                Phone: 408-988-2390
Fax: 408-884-2234                                e-mail:
janderso@hughes.scu.k12.ca.us
(e-mail: pavogel@pacbell.net or pvogel@arsin.com)