 Robotics / Education / 22
Re: Teaching robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:00:29 GMT

Rick Kirkwood wrote:
if this is an appropriate time period for the task.  Is 1 hr enough to >let a kid work through a problem? >http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=7768 indicates that a longer time >period is needed.  Do others agree?  What has your experience been?

I don't think it is long enough by far. My non-robotics Technic session
runs 2 hours and it's not long enough: I have them fighting to get in
the door early and trying to pry them off the Lego and clear up at the
end is... difficult. Most of them can build a decent vehicle in the 2
hours BUT these are non-robotics models, just wheels chassis and motor,
basically.

3) I currently have one RIS and one Search Sub to provide supplies plus >an additional motor, touch sensor and rotation sensor.  Is that enough
materials to keep the six 3-5 grade kids going?  If not, what additions >are

Probably not enough pieces - basic Technic pieces. Here, the Giant Model
set is being cleared out at Wal-Mart at ridiculous prices and they are a
very good deal, also the 3038 Spider Slayer is good on clearout for the
motor and battery box it contains as well as pieces.

Hope this is useful - have fun! One of the teens who do the sessions
with me rushed back in after today's had finished, hugged me, and said
"thankyou, THANKYOU for doing this class!!!!!" and rushed away again
<g>. Made me feel good.

Kevin

--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com