 Robotics / 998
Fw: Fw: Educational Uses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:21:08 GMT

I was pretty sure I read that the light sensors could be set to a given
strength, sort of like calibrating them, so it would seem that they are able
to accept ranges, so you could put a ceiling on the acceptible reading level
that falls slightly below that of the reading you will get from the
listener's own motor. That way, the bot ignores it's own motor noise and
only pays attention to that of others.
Or use a directional mic and have the robot swivel and move intermittently
until it picks up a noise, at which point it moves forward(fast) for a few
seconds, stops and takes another reading, then darts forward again. I
remember reading somewhere that this is how certain bugs actually work,
maybe cockroaches?
i.e. Take a reading, then 100-yard dash. Stop, another reading, another
dash. Ad infinitum.

Just a couple of thoughts.

trowt
-----Original Message-----
From: Sean R Wells <swells@osf1.gmu.edu>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Educational Uses

I've considered this myself.  While I haven't seen any type of microphone
from Lego, it would be trivial to attach a condencer mike to the RCX, and
just tell the software it's a light sensor.  I don't think this would work
for predator/prey applications because the motors would be easily
detectable, but it would be difficult to determine which robot was making
the noise, unless you put a motorized clicker or other noise maker on one
of the robots.

- Sean