 Robotics / 9827
Re: 2 Motors -> 1 axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:36:04 GMT

I first tried having the motors separately drive the same axle. That is,
the motors weren't directly connected to each other at all, except
through the axle. Each motor drove a 24t crown gear, and each crown gear
drove a separate 24t gear on the axle.

SNIP

Unfortunately, the motors were different enough that the gears actually
skipped teeth occasionally.

I think there are two reasons why you are having this problem. First,
because the twenty-four tooth crown gears are prone to skipping unless
really well reinforced, and second, because of the inertia of your model.

I encountered both of these problems in a large 4WD/4WS/4WS chassis I'm
playing with. When it first started off or changed directions rapidly, it
would skip gears. I disassembled a major portion of it and built new
supports for the twenty-four tooth crown gears (which mesh with the front
and rear differentials' twenty-four tooth gears), giving them no place to go
and no room to deform. The problem disappeared after that.

I'm powering the drive train with two motors; their outputs are connected
directly. The motors are on opposite ends of the chassis, joined by two
twelve-length crossaxles. There is a single eight-tooth gear on this long
drive axle which meshes with the twenty-four tooth gear on the central
differential. I filled all "unused" space on this long drive axle with
spacers and bushings; this seems to eliminate both torsion and wiggle.

Now if I could just figure out how to stiffen the axle torsionally. I
need a wide base for stability, but the long axle means that the wheels
aren't locked together very well, there's lots of springy torsional
wiggle between them, which twists my bot around a lot when it's whipping
the wheels back and forth.

I reccomend you go and do likewise: fill "unused" axle space with bushings.

Regards,
Issac.