 Robotics / 9403
Re: ***Nicads in Rcx?***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:27:46 GMT

In article <dbaum-2712991423430001@207-229-150-87.d.enteract.com>,
dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com (Dave Baum) wrote:

In article <0.b3b77e4c.2599133a@aol.com>, BMajik5127@aol.com wrote:

Hi all,
I was wondering about using nicads in my RCX? has anyone had experience using
them. Can they be charged in the RCX?

NiCads can be used, but since they have a lower cell voltage than alkaline
cells you won't get as much power out of the motors.  The RCX will not
charge the cells for you.

Also will I need to reload the firmware every time I pull the batteries out
for a recharge or can I hot swap them while an ac adapter is plugged into the
RCX?

You can hot-swap with an AC adapter connected.  Another option is to turn
off the RCX, then swap the batteries.  The RCX will be able to retain
memory for a short time due to the internal capacitance on the power
rails.  Of course if the RCX is turned on when you remove the batteries it
will drain this excess charge almost instantly.

Dave Baum

One more thing... I use rechargeable alkaline cells (such as Rayovac
Renewal batteries).  These provide more power than a NiCad and don't
suffer from memory effects.  In fact, they have a longer lifetime if you
charge them frequently rather than deep cycling all of the time.  Their
shelf-life is very good too, so you can charge them up and leave them
sitting around for months before using them.  I always have at least one
spare set charged and waiting.  As soon as my motors start getting a bit
sluggish I swap batteries and charge the old ones.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com