 Robotics / 939
RE: legOS
Newsgroups:
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 17:04:56 GMT

From: Luis Villa [SMTP:liv@acpub.duke.edu]
Sent: 01 December 1998 16:27
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: legOS

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Ralph Hempel wrote:

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:04:05 GMT
From: Ralph Hempel <lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com

Markus L. Noga wrote in message <3664035C.B61B783@inrialpes.fr>...

In fact, my University in Germany is starting to think aloud whether
they should buy some 20 Mindstorms for an introductory robotics class
;-)

In fact, I'll bet that most "real" engineering students would buy
one for themselves...it's a necessary as an HP48, right? :-)

Hmm. As a former engineer and current computer science major, I have to
say that the HP48 is very necessary. The HP version of Tetris is a
must-have. :-)

More seriously, while I know some people on the list have suggested
elementary/middle school projects based on Legos, is anyone else
developing courses based on Mindstorms at the university/college level?
What kinds of projects, if any, are being considered (or would those of
you not at schools suggest?) Duke Computer Science is considering the
idea, since Legos would allow us mechanically challenged CPS majors to
program robots without worrying too much about the hardware end. The
appearance of legOS and nqcc have been very encouraging from this point
of view,  and I was wondering what kind of progress/ideas others have
made.

thanks in advance for any feedback-
Luis Villa

     "One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad